THE 40th ANNUAL CONCERTO COMPETITION
SPONSORED BY THE FINE ARTS ORCHESTRAL SOCIETY
Congratulations to this year’s winners:
Julia Feldman, Piano
Liszt Totentanz S.26 for piano and orchestra
Jun Lin, Violin
Sarasate Zigeunerweisen, Op. 20
Juling Wang, Violin
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Op. 64 Mvt I&II
Rei Koyama, Violin
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Op. 64 Mvt III
Haruki Gonai, Double bass
Koussevitsky Double Bass Concerto, Op. 3
Christopher Cho, Cello
Prizes and their sponsors:
- 1st place $1,000 donated jointly by Dr. and Mrs. Robert Klein and Mr. Joseph D. Landi
- 2nd place $800 donated by the Ann Marie Mazzucco Trust to honor musician friends and encourage the study of music.
- 3rd place $700 donated by Dr. Kathleen Pistone Carucci and Josephine Caruso in memory of Pasquale A. Pistone, Founder and Conductor of the orchestra.
- 4th place $500 donated by the Sala family and Dr. and Mrs. Ronald Volino in memory of Shirley Sala, and her husband Jerome Gino Sala, Music Director and Conductor of the orchestra for 30 years.
- 5th place $400 donated by the family of Sharon Calandra, flautist with the orchestra for many years.
- Honorable Mention $200 donated by Mrs. Helen A Henkel and Mrs. Joyce M Henery.
The five winners will be presented as soloists with the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra in a special concert under the baton of maestro Tong Chen, on Sunday May 20th, 2018 at 3:00 PM, at Saunders Trades and Technical High School. Robert Sherman will be the Master of Ceremonies.
Purchase and Donate
This season is made possible in part by ArtsWestchester with funds from the Westchester County Government
ArtsWestchester Community Service Award
Established in 1965 as the Council for the Arts in Westchester, we are New York State’s largest private, not-for-profit service organization, working to ensure the availability and accessibility of the arts for all of the county’s residents. In 1975, we were named by Westchester County government as the County’s designated arts council and we became one of several united arts funds in the country, providing grants and technical support to cultural organizations and artist residencies in the community.
ArtsWestchester gave the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra an award for Community Service in 2012.
Westchester Community Foundation
THE WESTCHESTER COMMUNITY FOUNDATION’S (WCF) http://www.wcf-ny.org mission is to connect generous people to the causes they care about and invest in transformative ideas and organizations to improve lives and strengthen our community. WCF is a division of the New York City Community Trust, one of the largest community foundations in the country with assets of approximately $2.6 billion.